• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat 4/25-4/26, 2024 - (Thursday, Friday)

Reaction score
So it appears the Elkhorn, NE tornado leveled a pretty large and expensive home near Prospect Hill Cemetery. I can't tell if it's actually slabbed or just separated from its sublfoor though. Here's a potential problem too...judging by Google maps, it's in a private gated community. Will the NWS survey team be able to do a survey on foot?
View attachment 26030
Yes. This is usually coordinated through the EMA or the jurisdiction having authority. As long as it is identified, they can view it. I know in Georgia, ACCG guidance for local ordinances based off OCGA give a lot of latitude to local jurisdictions and EMA directors after a disaster with entering private areas.

A Guy

Reaction score

DOW found winds of ~224 mph in the Harlan IA tornado on Friday.

Kinda disappointed he didn't say what height it was recorded at, or whether that's a 3 sec reading or instantaneous. I read a lot of Wurman's papers last week and he's certainly quite into his theory that tornadoes' strongest windspeeds are in the corner flow region near the ground. Reading between the lines he's itching to get a 10 m agl measurement of a strong-violent tornado. Not surprising either as the research he's doing has the potential to make or break the EF scale.

Reaction score
Kinda disappointed he didn't say what height it was recorded at, or whether that's a 3 sec reading or instantaneous. I read a lot of Wurman's papers last week and he's certainly quite into his theory that tornadoes' strongest windspeeds are in the corner flow region near the ground. Reading between the lines he's itching to get a 10 m agl measurement of a strong-violent tornado. Not surprising either as the research he's doing has the potential to make or break the EF scale.
Yep. There’s also his paper he published a while back, and I’m paraphrasing, on how most tornados were usually assigned lower ratings by the EF scale when his measurements would actually bump them up a few spots.

A Guy

Reaction score
Yep. There’s also his paper he published a while back, and I’m paraphrasing, on how most tornados were usually assigned lower ratings by the EF scale when his measurements would actually bump them up a few spots.
He's not the only person with the same thinking. One of Frank Lombardo's recent papers was pointedly titled "An Approach for Assessing Misclassification of Tornado Characteristics Using Damage". That said I'm a bit iffy on his tree fall models without more definitive proof that the Rankine Vortex model is a good enough approximation of real life that the estimates are accurate.

Reaction score
Ok found it. The first video of the EF4ish looking damage is in the Lariat Lane area. Also my suspicions are confirmed. That third completely obliterated structure I posted a screen cap of was not a house, but a large garage or workshop.
View attachment 26045
Yeah, I have been noticing slabs that were outbuildings, metal building systems, and garages.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Height was 258m and distance from tornado is 8km which make this more impressive than first look.
And vrot of the tornado at this point weakened a lot to 63.6kt compared with 80kt+ vrot at its peak intensity. It probably past its peak intensity for a long stretch at this point and still got relatively strong winds of 224mph by DOW.

A Guy

Reaction score
The NSSL is producing hindcast probabilities on their 'Spring Forecasting Experiment' page, though coverage across dates seems patchy. Rather clunky site with funny, small map boundaries, but interesting to compare:

Thursday:
Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 9.26.12 pm.png Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 9.23.12 pm.png

Friday:

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 9.32.10 pm.png Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 9.29.54 pm.png

Suffice to say Thursday was less active and Friday a lot more active than forecast.

(and no, I haven't the foggiest idea what the grey report markers mean)

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
I can't stop thinking about how close this outbreak came to being much, much worse than it was. The Lincoln and Eppley Airfield (Omaha) tornadoes dropped right as they were exiting populated metro areas. Had the Lincoln tornado formed a bit earlier, it would have plowed through residential areas of the city. Had the Eppley tornado formed earlier, it would have touched down pretty much in downtown Omaha. Unreal how much worse both of those events could have been. Even Elkhorn could have been worse, as it took sharp northward turns that kept in scattered subdivisions at the outskirts of the metro, rather than entirely impacting dense neighborhoods.

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah watching the airport tornado just drop suddenly on the news stream and thinking how amazing it was that it waited until after downtown was insane, was wrapping up before Omaha but managed to wait just long enough

buckeye05

Reaction score
Also, why can't I find any videos of the Rockville and Elba, NE tornadoes? Those were the two big wedges that kicked off the main part of the outbreak, but I can't find a single chaser video of them, even though I know chasers were on them. A lot of us here watched the Elba tornado live and it was huge, but I can't find anything at all video wise. What gives?

Edit: Found one. Typed in a bunch of different search terms for the Elba tornado, and could only find this by going to Jake Heitman's youtube page. What is wrong with youtube's search function.

Last edited:

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score

Home with anchor bolts (poured concrete basement with stem walls) looks to have been swept away in Minden.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Also, why can't I find any videos of the Rockville and Elba, NE tornadoes? Those were the two big wedges that kicked off the main part of the outbreak, but I can't find a single chaser video of them, even though I know chasers were on them. A lot of us here watched the Elba tornado live and it was huge, but I can't find anything at all video wise. What gives?

Edit: Found one. Typed in a bunch of different search terms for the Elba tornado, and could only find this by going to Jake Heitman's youtube page. What is wrong with youtube's search function.

The first shot in the video reminds me so much of the monster Coldwater Lake wedge from Palm Sunday '65.

7CGbRjI.jpeg

Also, Youtube search blows chunks. It's somehow gone from almost useless to, like.. actively counterproductive. There are browser extensions that can remove some of the most egregiously unhelpful stuff (like previously viewed videos and "people also search for" and whatever other crap they're throwing in there now), but it's still really, really bad.

Back